Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Math-my-matics

Okay, so the seed we planted for the baby didn't quite take yet. BUT - we sure can grow some cucumbers - check out the size of this thing!




I'm just saying... it takes time to grow things to perfection! Besides, the average to get pregant through IUI is about 25% (or within 4 months) -- we don't want to look like over-achievers here.


Just so you know though, patience has never really been one of my personal virtues. So, the pregnancy test makers earn their bank when people like me "might" be pregnant. Just to be clear, a pregnancy test typically shows up positive about 10-14 days after the IUI - if, in fact, you're pregnant. So, here's my typical thought process each month (after the IUI):


Day 7: Hmm... well, the box says that it can detect pregnancy at about 50% accuracy 5 days before my missed period. Now, I obviously don't know if I've missed my period yet - but it is 5 days before I "might" miss it. And... I could be in that lucky 50% that gets to know early. And... if it comes up negative, it really doesn't mean anything anyway - other than I need to test again later. Okay... [I take a pregnancy test]


Day 9: I know it just came up negative like 2 days ago, but now the pregnancy test says that it should be like 75% accurate (because it is only like 2-3 days now before I "might" miss my period). Maybe it was just too early before... but it could show up now. And, if I could know now, why wait - right?! Besides, if it comes up negative - it doesn't mean anything anyway, I'll just test later. Okay... [I take another pregnancy test]


Day 11: I really should be starting today or tomorrow. I do kind of have cramps. Yeah, but some people have cramps and they're actually pregnant. Right. Okay, so I'll test again today. Besides, the pregnancy test says it should be like 99% accurate now. I bet I just needed to wait until now. Okay... [And yet another]


Day 13: Right... so all the other pregnancy tests have been negative. Plus, the one I did like 2 days ago was supposed to be like 99% accurate. And, I am on my period right now. Yeah, but I have been watching that show on TV - "I never knew I was pregnant" - and sometimes people have their periods when they're actually pregnant. And, who can trust that 99% thing - some women just have lower hormone levels. Yeah, I should test just to make sure I'm not one of those people who didn't even know they were pregnant! [And, so on]


There you have it. That's like 4-5 tests (depending if you count the other one I took some where in there - just in case) ~ when really... 1 test after an "actual" missed period would probably suffice. I guess I'm a little bit of an overachiever. ;)


So, technically, by my genious math calculations, I think we have a better chance of getting pregnant now that we are going on the 3rd attempt. I mean, if it usually happens within 4 months, and it didn't happen the 1st or 2nd month - that only leaves us with the 3rd or 4th month - right?! Hmmm... that would be nice if it really worked that way - and like every time you lost the lotto - it just meant you were more likely to win the next time. I like my math! Let's go with that... :)

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your math Tracy...3rd or 4th month is OBVIOUSLY going to take. Yahoo! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could totally 'hear' your thought process as I read this. Thanks for making me giggle.

    ReplyDelete